Records of the Department of Graphics
Scope and Content
This collection consists of the correspondence of William Henry Rasche and John Rolfe Castleman, former professors and heads of the department. The collection includes correspondence with VPI Presidents Joseph Eggleston, Julian Burruss, John Hutcheson, and Walter Newman (1913-1962); correspondence with Vice Presidents Walter Newman, C. Clement French, and Louis Pardue (1946-1957); correspondence with Treasurers Charles Wade, J. H. Taft, and J. B. Fogleman (1918-1945); correspondence with Engineering Deans L. S. Randolph, S. R. Pritchard, Earle B. Norris, and J. W. Whittemore (1913-1959); correspondence with faculty (1919-1932, 1937-1946); and correspondence with other universities (1940-1944). Additional items concern the Intercollegiate Rankine Memorial Movement (1939-1940) and the bust of William Rankine (one of the founders of modern scientific engineering) presented by the class of 1902 to the University in 1940.
- 1913 - 1959
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Department of Graphics (Organization)
- Rasche, William Henry, 1875-1951 (Person)
- Castleman, John Rolfe , 1895-1983 (Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions
may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for
assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Mechanical drawing was offered as part of the "Mechanical" course of study in the Department of Technical Mechanics, in 1872. In 1875, this became the Department of Mechanics and Drawing. From 1878, courses in drawing were offered under various department names, until 1902 when a Department of Drawing was formed. In 1904, the name became the Department of Graphics. From 1914-1920, it was called the Department of Mechanism, Descriptive Geometry, and Graphics, and then from 1920-1947, it was called the Department of Graphics and Mechanism. In 1948, it became the Department of Graphics again. In 1963, the department was reorganized as a division under the Department of Industrial Engineering.
William Henry "Bosco" Rasche (1875-1951) came to the university in 1895 and was head of the Graphics and Mechanism Department from 1936-1948.
John Rolfe Castleman (1895-1983) joined VPI in 1923 and was head of the Department of Graphics from 1956-1966.
1.4 Cubic Feet (1 box)
This collection contains records from the Department of Graphics in the Virginia Tech College of Engineering, primarily from former heads William Henry Rasche and John Rolfe Castleman. Most of the records in this collection are correspondence between people in the department and others within the university. The Department of Graphics was created in 1872 under the name, Department of Technical Mechanics. The Department of Graphics merged into the Department of Industial Engineering in 1963.
This collection is arranged into eight series based on correspondence and subject:
- Series I: Presidents Correspondence, arranged chronologically
- Series II: Vice Presidents Correspondence, arranged chronologically
- Series III: Treasurers Correspondence, arranged chronologically
- Series IV: Dean of Engineering Correspondence, arranged chronologically
- Series V: Faculty Correspondece, aranged alphabetically
- Series VI: Extra-mural Correspondence, arranged chronologically
- Series VII: Rankine Memorial Files, aranged chronologially
- Series VIII: Assorted Files, arranged chronologically
Source of Acquisition
The Records of the Department of Graphics were acquired by Special Collections and University Archives prior to 1969.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Records of the Department of Graphics, by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Records of the Department of Graphics, was completed in August 2021.
- Records of the Department of Graphics, 1913-1959
- Tyler Williams, Student Worker, and LM Rozema, Archivist
- 2021 (CC0 1.0)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US