Radford Brick Company (1889-1912) (Tazewell County, Va.)
The Radford Brick Company was chartered in 1889 for the purpose of manufacturing and selling brick. The company purchased 30 acres of land at Tiptop (Tazewell County) and located its plant there. Under long-time manager George Shafer, bricks were manufactured with clay dug on site. By 1901, the plant was able to manufacture six million bricks per year and was furnishing all of the brick used by the Norfolk and Western Railway in construction. By 1911, when the plant temporarily closed, it had an annual production capacity of eight million bricks. In 1912, the plant was purchased by Hoge Mason, of Bluefield, West Virginia, and renamed the Tiptop Brick Company, with W. H. Shuff serving as manager.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The collection contains a cash ledger of the Radford Brick Company, which operated a manufacturing plant at Tiptop (Tazewell County), Virginia around the turn of the twentieth century.