Radford Brick Company Cash Ledger
Scope and Content
This collection consists of a single cash ledger from the Radford Brick Company, which operated a manufacturing plant at Tiptop (Tazewell County), Virginia around the turn of the twentieth century. The ledger contains entries for the company's income and expenditures. The first entry is dated October 11, 1889 and begins a list of stock sales. Entries for later dates detail income from sales of bricks, as well as expenditures for such items as machinery, equipment, labor, and freight. Following the sale of the company to Hoge Mason in 1912, the ledger's only recorded income derives from interest and Mason's note payments. Stock payments are also recorded. The final entry in the ledger is dated January 1, 1921.
- 1889 - 1921
- Radford Brick Company (1889-1912) (Tazewell County, Va.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The material in the collection is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
The Radford Brick Company was chartered in 1889 for the purpose of manufacturing and selling brick. The company purchased 30 acres of land at Tiptop (Tazewell County) and located its plant there. Under long-time manager George Shafer, bricks were manufactured with clay dug on site. By 1901, the plant was able to manufacture six million bricks per year and was furnishing all of the brick used by the Norfolk and Western Railway in construction. By 1911, when the plant temporarily closed, it had an annual production capacity of eight million bricks. In 1912, the plant was purchased by Hoge Mason, of Bluefield, West Virginia, and renamed the Tiptop Brick Company, with W. H. Shuff serving as manager.
0.2 Cubic Feet (1 box)
The collection contains a cash ledger of the Radford Brick Company, which operated a manufacturing plant at Tiptop (Tazewell County), Virginia around the turn of the twentieth century.
Source of Acquisition
The Radford Brick Company Cash Ledger was purchased by Special Collections in 1997. The volume was purchased under the title "Norfolk and Western Cash Ledger," but upon closer inspection in 2010 was found to relate to the Radford Brick Company.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Radford Brick Company Cash Ledger by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing and description of the Radford Brick Company Cash Ledger commenced and was completed in May 2010.
- Radford Brick Company Cash Ledger, 1889-1921
- John M. Jackson, Archivist
- 2010 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US