Skip to main content

Virginia Cooperative Extension (1995-)

 Organization

Historical Note

A University-wide Extension Division was established on 1 July 1966 by the General Assembly. It combined the activities of the Cooperative Extension Service, General Extension Division, State Technical Services, and Continuing Education Center. However, extension work at VPI&SU can trace its roots to 1906 when an extension program was established in Virginia as a result of the farm demonstration work began by Dr. Seaman A. Knapp in Texas in 1903. Dr. John D. Eggleston, the superintendent of public instruction in Virginia at the time and later VPI president, invited Knapp to speak at a meeting in Richmond and that talk resulted in the beginning of the program in Virginia. When the Smith-Lever Act of 1914 was passed, authority for extension, or demonstration, work was transferred to Virginia Tech and it became known as the Agricultural Extension until 1966 when it became the Cooperative Extension Service before being absorbed into the overall Extension Division. In 1995, the Extension Division became the Virginia Cooperative Extension and Agricultural Experiment Station Division, often shortened to the Virginia Cooperative Extension.

Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:

Janet L. Cameron Collection,

 Collection
Identifier: Ms-2011-021
Abstract

The collection includes biographical information about the life and career of Janet L. Cameron, a food and nutrition specialist with the Virginia Cooperative Extension from 1931-1964. Most of the collection consists of publications written by Cameron and others.

Dates: 1931 - 2001

Ann A. Hertzler Collection

 Collection
Identifier: Ms-2001-004
Abstract

The Ann A. Hertzler Collection contains biographical information, publications, project and subject files, and artifacts relating to Hertzler's professional career at the University of Missouri-Columbia (1974-1980) and Virginia Tech (1980-2001). Particular areas of emphasis are children's health and nutrition, food and food programs, and Extension publications from both colleges.

Dates: 1863 - 2013; Majority of material found within 1974 - 2000

Records of the Virginia Cooperative Extension, Master Gardener Program

 Record Group
Identifier: RG-26-02-01
Abstract

This collection contains four boxes of slide sets, some with related scripts, for the Virginia Cooperative Extension's Master Gardener Program. Most materials are undated, but likely date from between the 1970s and early 2000s. Topics include flowers, fruits, vegetables, trees, landscaping, gardening, composting, and careers in horticulture.

Dates: ca. 1970s-2000s

State/Regional Home and Agricultural Publications,

 Collection
Identifier: Ms-2012-040
Scope and Content

The collection contains publications on topics including, but not limited to: war-time food use and victory gardens, home planning and organization, food and cooking, home demonstration, and household management. Although the emphasis in on Virginia state and local agencies, materials may also originate from around the United States.

Dates: 1934-present

Records of the Virginia Cooperative Extension

 Record Group
Identifier: RG-26
Abstract

This collection contains the administrative records of the Virginia Cooperative Extension, including correspondence, reports, financial documents, slides, videos, and the records of Bob Swain. The collection also documents the VCE's role in Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission, Virginia Association of Extension Secretaries, and their work within rural communities.

Dates: 1862 - 1997

Virginia Cooperative Extension Service Photographs

 Record Group
Identifier: RG-26-02b
Abstract The Virginia Cooperative Extension Service Photographs, RG 26/2b, contains approximately 5,000 photographs of activities of the Agricultural Extension Service from 1937 thru 1966, primarily in the 1950s. Photographs depict 4-H activities, home demonstration work, food, breeding, field stations, gardening, poultry, dairy, and other subjects. The Extension Division, which was established in 1966, became the Virginia Cooperative Extension and Agricultural Experiment Station Division...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1937 - 1966