Smithey & Boynton, Architects and Engineers (1935-1992) (Roanoke, Va.)
Smithey & Boynton, Architects & Engineers, was an architecture firm in Roanoke, Virginia, established in 1935 by Louis Phillipe Smithey and Henry B. Boynton. The firm closed during World War II for a few years while Boynton served in the Army Corps of Engineers. After Smithey's death in the 1970s, Boynton partnered with Kenneth L. Motley, who began his career as a draftsman with the firm. In 1992, a year following Boynton's death, Motley acquired Smithey & Boynton and renamed the firm Motley + Associates.
Smithey & Boynton designed several structures over the years, including, in Roanoke, Christ Episcopal Church, the South Roanoke Fire Station, the Shenandoah Life Building, McClanaham Street Office Building, and the American Theater Building. The firm also designed Lane Stadium at Virginia Tech. The firm became best known for building public schools, even using the same basic layout for numerous schools. Smithey & Boynton had nearly 150 school design commissions during the period of 1945-1953 in at least 19 counties and 10 cities.
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
As of December 2011, hanging in Kira's Office
This collection contains the papers of architect Henry B. Boynton. The bulk of the materials consists of financial and organizational material for the firm of Smithey & Boynton, and awards and honors bestowed on Boynton.
The collection contains project files and drawings related to more than 1,500 residences, churches, businesses, schools, and community buildings, predominantly in the Roanoke and Southwest Virginia area, designed by Smithey & Boynton, mostly between 1935 and 1957.