Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station
The Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station was established in 1886 by an act of the Virginia General Assembly and funded by the federal Hatch Act of 1887 for the purpose of providing practical and useful information on agricultural and scientific subjects. Originally, it was organized into three departments: agriculture, botany and entomology, and chemistry. VAES was responsible for several agricultural research stations and laboratories throughout Virginia. On 1 July 1966, the research activities of the Agricultural Experiment Station, as well as the Engineering Experiment Station, were combined under a University-wide Research Division.
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
This collection contains a typed list of Virginia flora, with handwritten annotations, processed for the Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station, possibly by A. B. Massey.
The William E. Garnett Papers consist of field notes, surveys, reports, class notes, letters to the editors of Montgomery County, Virginia, newspapers, and reprints of publications.
This collection contains a typescript draft of a study and history of the Tri-State Tobacco Growers Association, written by S. D. Frissell and B. D. Tillett, including general background history of tobacco and agricultural cooperative efforts, together with research data on tobacco farming statistics.
The collection contains data from a cooperative study of Grayson County, Virginia, conducted by the Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station and the U. S. Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Home Economics. The study includes raw and tabulated data on family members, education, health, income and expenditures, employment, housing, food, clothing, and household furnishings and supplies.