Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944)
- Usage: 1896 - 1944
Found in 35 Collections and/or Records:
Historic home of Blacksburg, Virginia, built by the Preston family in the early 1800s. Purchased by the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Virginia Tech) in 1872, and remains the oldest building on campus. Photographs consist of thirty-four mounted photographs from Eleanor Stover McEver's collection of various views and details of Solitude, with identifying labels. Also includes other papers, such as newspaper clippings and postcards, with information about Solitude.
This collection includes eighty postcards. Dated cards range from 1906 through 1995, but many cards are not dated. Cards depict various subjects including campus views, campus buildings, football, Corps of Cadets, and Blacksburg views. Some of the postcards are postmarked and addressed to recipients, while some are blank.
Map shows VPI campus, with building index.
Map shows the VPI campus circa 1944.
Map shows the VIP campus, to be consulted for building proposals.
In general, the Virginia Tech and Local History Mounted Clippings include newspaper clippings, photocopies, ephermera, unpublished and/or informal publications, and other papers relating to a specific subject area. Files in this collection relate to Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, and the activities of members of the community or university. The collection was primarily collected by library staff through the 1960s.
Collection consists of architectural drawings, blueprints, and floorplans of selected campus buildings located on the campus of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, VA.
The collection contains a single scrapbook of photographs of VPI and the area surrounding Blacksburg, Virginia, from about 1912 to 1916.
For Cecil Henry Fisher