Bodell, Dorothy H., 1931-
- Existence: 1931-
Dorothy Heavener Bodell is a resident of Blacksburg, Virginia, and the author of Montgomery White Sulphur Springs: A History of the Resort, Hospital, Cemeteries, Markers, and Monuments, published by Pocahontas Press of Blacksburg in 1993.
Montgomery White Sulphur Springs was a Montgomery County, Virginia, natural mineral springs resort, established in the early 1850s, that quickly became one of the Virginia's most popular spas. During the Civil War the resort served as a major hospital for Confederate wounded, tended by nuns supplied by the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy in Charleston, South Carolina. After the war the resort returned to its former glory, and was visited by wealthy and notable people of the region and the state. By 1890 Montgomery White Sulphur Springs began to decline in popularity, and the property was sold in 1904.
A marker and monument commemorating, and a cemetery of, the Confederate dead who died during the Civil War at Montgomery White Sulphur Springs lays on the property, and is maintained by the Dr. Harvey Black chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The collection consists primarily of newspaper clippings, correspondence, research notes, photocopies of historical documents, and files Bodell compiled while writing her book.
The collection consists of reports, copies of electronic mail correspondence, brochures, meetings, minutes, and newspaper clippings about the "Smart" Road proposal. This information was collected by Dorothy Bodell of Blacksburg, Virginia, as she served on the citizen's advisory committee from January 1995 to July 1997.