Dorothy H. Bodell Papers,
Scope and Contents
The collection consists primarily of newspaper clippings, correspondence, research notes, photocopies of historical documents, and files Bodell compiled while writing her book. The collection also includes an audiotape (1992) of an interview of Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Cox about Montgomery White Sulphur Springs, photographs of the cemetery where the Confederate dead were buried, and information about Bodell's 40th reunion of the class of 1948 from Blacksburg High School.
- 1850 - 1996
- Bodell, Dorothy H., 1931- (Person)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials. Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Dorothy Heavener Bodell is a resident of Blacksburg, Virginia, and the author of Montgomery White Sulphur Springs: A History of the Resort, Hospital, Cemeteries, Markers, and Monuments, published by Pocahontas Press of Blacksburg in 1993.
Montgomery White Sulphur Springs was a Montgomery County, Virginia, natural mineral springs resort, established in the early 1850s, that quickly became one of the Virginia's most popular spas. During the Civil War the resort served as a major hospital for Confederate wounded, tended by nuns supplied by the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy in Charleston, South Carolina. After the war the resort returned to its former glory, and was visited by wealthy and notable people of the region and the state. By 1890 Montgomery White Sulphur Springs began to decline in popularity, and the property was sold in 1904.
A marker and monument commemorating, and a cemetery of, the Confederate dead who died during the Civil War at Montgomery White Sulphur Springs lays on the property, and is maintained by the Dr. Harvey Black chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
0.8 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
The collection consists primarily of newspaper clippings, correspondence, research notes, photocopies of historical documents, and files Bodell compiled while writing her book.
The collection is arranged chronologically, with undated materials at the end.
Source of Acquisition
The materials about Dorothy H. Bodell's 40th high school reunion were originally donated in 1988. Additions of materials concerning her research about Montgomery White Sulphur Springs were donated in 1994 and 1996.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Dorothy H. Bodell Papers by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Dorothy H. Bodell Papers commenced in February 1998 and was completed in June 1998.
- Dorothy H. Bodell Papers, 1850-1996
- 2009 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English
- 2020-08-21: Finding aid notes updated to new department standards. juliags
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US