Blacksburg Woman's Club Records
Scope and Content
This collection contains the records of the Blacksburg Woman's Club. Materials include the club's correspondence; official minutes of both the general club and executive committee meetings; and financial records. The core of the collection is found in a large set of scrapbooks, ranging from the 1930s to 1970s, which document all facets of the club's activities. There are also printed materials of both the Blacksburg Woman's Club and the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs. Scattered throughout are materials relating to the Blacksburg Junior Woman's Club. A small set of photos and ephemera completes the collection.
- 1907 - 1972
- Blacksburg Woman’s Club (Blacksburg, Va.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
Arising from a desire to improve the cultural and environmental aspects of life in the Blacksburg area, the Woman's Civic Betterment Club was founded in 1907. Led by its first president, Mrs. R. H. Hudnall, the organization became affiliated with the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs in 1912 and was renamed the Blacksburg Woman's Club in 1914. Throughout the next several decades, the club was involved in a number of local civic improvement projects, involving community beautification, public health, civil defense, charity, and cultural programs. The Blacksburg Garden Club was originally a committee within the Blacksburg Woman's Club before voting to form an independent organization in 1930. Another offshoot organization, the Blacksburg Junior Woman's Club, was created in 1935 and continues to be active today (2003). The club disbanded in 1970.
7 Cubic Feet (8 boxes)
The Blacksburg Woman's Club Records include club correspondence, minutes, financial records, scrapbooks, and printed material.
The collection is arranged in the following series:
I. Correspondence, 1953-1970. This series contains a small set of correspondence, most of which is from the club's final few years and was apparently overlooked during the compilation of scrapbooks. Arranged chronologically.
II. Minutes, 1907-1970. In addition to the minutes of the general club meetings, this series also contains minutes of the executive committee meetings. Arranged by type, then chronologically.
III. Financial Records, 1914-1970. The club's financial records include the treasurers' books and reports, as well as documentation such as check stubs, deposit slips and receipts, most of which are from the few years immediately preceding the club's dissolution. Arranged by type, then chronologically.
IV. Scrapbooks, 1936-1968. By far the most extensive of the series, the scrapbooks comprise the core of the collection. Covering 30 years of the club's history, the scrapbooks contain a large variety of materials, including correspondence, memorabilia, minutes, calendars, rosters, newspaper clippings and other printed materials relating to both the Blacksburg Woman's Club and the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs. Arranged chronologically.
V. Club Activities, 1937-1970. This small series contains various histories of the club, together with materials (mostly printed matter) relating to various activities, specifically the 1952 "Get Out the Vote" campaign. Arranged by type, then chronologically.
VI. Printed Materials, 1917-1970. Included in the printed materials are the club's newsletters and yearbooks, as well as a history and a cookbook published by the club. The series also contains a few publications of the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs and a few newspaper clippings. Arranged by format, then chronologically, with local publications preceding those of the statewide organization.
VII. General Materials, 1964-1968. This small series contains a few photos of club members and some assorted ephemera. Arranged by type.
Source of Acquisition
The Blacksburg Woman's Club deposited many of its records in Newman Library in 1962; those materials were donated to the library the following year. Upon dissolution of the club in 1970, the club donated the remainder of its records. Additional materials were donated by the club's last president in 1972, and a 1941/1942 scrapbook was donated in 1990.
Existence and Location of Copies
Some of this collection has been digitized and is available online.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Blacksburg Woman's Club Records by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your- work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Blacksburg Woman's Club Records commenced in November 2003 and was completed December 2003.
- Blacksburg Woman's Club Records, 1907-1972
- John M. Jackson, Archivist
- 2020 (CC0 1.0)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US