Blacksburg Woman’s Club (Blacksburg, Va.)
- Existence: 1914 - 1970
Arising from a desire to improve the cultural and environmental aspects of life in the Blacksburg area, the Woman's Civic Betterment Club was founded in 1907. Led by its first president, Mrs. R. H. Hudnall, the organization became affiliated with the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs in 1912 and was renamed the Blacksburg Woman's Club in 1914. Throughout the next several decades, the club was involved in a number of local civic improvement projects, involving community beautification, public health, civil defense, charity and cultural programs. The Blacksburg Garden Club was originally a committee within the Blacksburg Woman's Club before voting to form an independent organization in 1930. Another offshoot organization, The Blacksburg Junior Woman's Club, was created in 1935 and continues to be active today (2003). The club disbanded in 1970.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The Blacksburg Woman's Club Records include club correspondence, minutes, financial records, scrapbooks, and printed material.
Materials in the collection include newspaper clippings, minutes and yearbooks from the Blacksburg Woman's Club and organization reports, minutes, pressbooks, yearbooks, and scrapbooks from the Southside Garden Club.