Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the New River Valley Records
Scope and Content
This collection contains the records of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the New River Valley, located in Blacksburg, Virginia. The collection includes printed materials, essays, and documents relating to the fellowship's congregation and its history. (Much of the collection consists of photocopies, rather than original materials.) Documenting the history of the fellowship are lists of former presidents and members, newspaper articles, and addresses by Wilhelmina Elarth and Paul and Jewell Field; fellowship activities are detailed in a set of programs and newsletters. The majority of the collection, however, consists of materials relating to the congregation's search for a minister in 1986. Included are a report of the search committee and a program for the installation of Rev. William D. Main. A notebook distributed to prospective ministers is included as well, and among its contents are essays on the fellowship's history, congregation, building, and by-laws; a budget report; community overviews; biographical sketches of the search committee; and the results of a congregational survey.
- 1958 - 1987
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials. Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (email@example.com or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the New River Valley had its beginnings at a meeting held on the Virginia Tech campus in late 1955. Founded as the Blacksburg Unitarian Fellowship, the group was soon holding regular meetings in the student activities building and became a formally constituted fellowship in October 1956. The fellowship in 1961 changed its name to the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the New River Valley. In 1967, the fellowship built its own meeting house (a new meeting house would be built in 1992). After having been led by various laypersons and visiting ministers for decades, the fellowship installed its first part-time minister, Rev. William D. Main, in 1987. The fellowship would install its first full-time minister in 1999, and change its name to the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the New River Valley in 2003.
0.2 Cubic Feet (1 box )
This collection includes the records of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the New River Valley, including programs and newsletters, membership lists, and historical essays.
The collection is arranged by material type.
Source of Acquisition
The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the New River Valley Records were donated to Special Collections in 1988.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the New River Valley Records by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).
The processing, arrangement, and description of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the New River Valley Records commenced and was completed in June, 2013.
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the New River Valley Records, 1958-1987
- John M. Jackson, Archivist
- 2013 (CC0 1.0)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US