Skip to main content

Southside Garden Club Records

 Collection
Identifier: Ms-2007-032

Scope and Content

The Southside Garden Club collection contains materials from the Blacksburg Women's Club and the Southside Garden Club. The Women's Club was a precursor to the Garden Club and materials included in the collection are minutes, yearbooks, publications, and newspaper clippings.

The Southside Garden Club materials include the organization's records and history as well as minutes, yearbooks, awards, and scrapbooks. The bulk of the collection is scrapbooks which contain photographs of floral arrangements and Garden Club members, newspaper clippings, and yearbooks from each year.

Dates

  • 1914 - 2009

Creator

Language of Materials

The materials in the collection are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open to research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.

Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (specref@vt.edu or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.

Administrative History

The Southside Garden Club began as a committee under the governance of the Blacksburg Women's Club. In the 1920s, in order to generate more interest in the Women's Club a committee was formed known as the garden committee. The committee first met in February of 1928, and in March of 1930 the committee voted to withdrawal from the Women's Club and formed its own independent organization. From the very beginning the Garden Club was concerned with community involvement and civic interests including the beautification of Blacksburg. In the late 1930s, the Garden Club's membership had grown beyond the capacity that could be accommodated by meetings in women's homes, in order to solve this problem, the club voted to split into three groups, the Arboretum, Southside, and Town and Country.

The Southside Garden Club, so named because many members lived on the south side of town, was federated in 1941. The Southside Garden Club continued the tradition of community involvement. In 1952, the club voted in favor of having women on the town council and in 1963, succeeded in making Blacksburg a bird sanctuary. It has furnished flowers and plants for various public buildings such as school grounds, Historic Smithfield, and the public library. Members of the Southside Garden Club have also participated in many contests and won awards in categories such as Garden Therapy and Horticulture. The primary mission of the Garden Club has always been the beautification of the town and county, and that mission continues even into the present day.

Extent

7.6 Cubic Feet (14 boxes)

Abstract

The Southside Garden Club started as a committee of the Blacksburg Women's Club. The Garden Club became its own separate organization in 1930 and the Southside Garden Club was formed in 1941. Materials in the collection include newspaper clippings, minutes and yearbooks from the Blacksburg Women's Club. Southside Garden Club materials include organization reports, minutes, pressbooks, yearbooks, and scrapbooks.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into two series each of which is arranged in chronological order.

Series I: Blacksburg Women's Club Material, 1914-1957: this series contains newspaper clippings, minutes, yearbooks, and publications.

Series II: Southside Garden Club Material, 1947-2009: this series is broken up into three sub-series described below:
Sub-series A: Records and Minutes, 1947-2005, this series contains annual reports and minutes of the Garden Club. The series is separated into categories and arranged in chronological order.
Sub-series B: Garden Club Awards and Pressbooks, 1964-2001, this series contains press clippings regarding garden club activities and booklets related to the contests entered by Garden Club members.
Sub-series C: Garden Club Scrapbooks, 1962-2009, this series contains the scrapbooks of the Garden Club.

Source of Acquisition

The Southside Garden Club Records were donated to Special Collections in 2007. Additional scrapbooks were donated in 2011 and 2018.

Rights Statement for Archival Description

The guide to the Southside Garden Club Records by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/).

Processing Information

The original donation of materials was processed, arranged, and described in 2008. Accessions received in 2011 and 2018 were processed in July 2018.

Title
Southside Garden Club Records, 1914-2009
Status
Completed
Author
Jennifer Vipperman, Archivist
Date
2008 (CC0 1.0)
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository

Contact:
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US
540-231-6308