Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
This collection contains one "free man of color" registration for Robert Chirver or Chirves, a resident of Petersburg, Virginia. Signed and dated May 4, 1841, at Petersburg, this form was proof of Chirver's status as a free man.
This collection contains professional records and personal correspondence of Charles W. Hardin, a physician from Augusta County, Virginia.
Oral history project designed to interview African-American residents of Roanoke, Virginia, on the cultural, social, and political history of blacks in the city. Collection consists of approximately fifty-five interviews. Transcripts are available for thirty-six of the interviews.
The Piedmont Tuberculosis Sanatorium (Burkeville, Virginia) Collection includes materials from 1926-1971. The collection contains information relating to the operation of the sanatorium from 1918-1965. The collection contains administrative papers, published works of doctors, ephemera, and images.
Two-page letter from Lucy Randolph of New Market, Virginia, to Patsy, a woman she formerly enslaved.
The G. E. Roberts Letter contains information pertaining to an African American man shooting a white doctor, Dr. Hammet, in Christiansburg, VA. The letter is written to Walter J. Reeve in Central Depot, VA on February 8, 1874.
The Jacob Sherman Legal Documents contain a complaint of Jacob Sherman and the testimony of Burgess R. Linkous regarding the sale of an enslaved person in Western Virginia in 1858.
This collection contains nineteenth century financial documents, including tax records for various Virginia residents. Also included are several hand-written receipts mentioning the sale or labor of enslaved people, including a Black child named Peter and a Black man named Bob.
This collection contains a deed of emancipation signed by Barbara Wilson of Bath County, Virginia, freeing Harry, an enslaved man.
- Slavery -- United States 3
- Virginia -- History 2
- Women -- History 2
- Augusta County (Va.) 1
- Bath County (Va.) 1
- Blacksburg (Va.) 1
- Civil War 1
- Community theater 1
- Correspondence 1
- Faculty 1
- Folk, historical, and patent medicine 1
- Legal instruments (Legal documents) 1
- Letters 1
- Medicine 1
- Montgomery County (Va.) 1
- Receipts (financial records) 1
- Roanoke (Va.) 1
- Rockbridge County (Va.) 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- University Archives 1
- University History 1 ∧ less
- Bob (enslaved person) 1
- Carter, H. G. (Harry Gilmore), 1886-1926 1
- Chirver, Robert 1
- Currin, Lynch Alexander, 1812-1871 1
- Fulton, Andrew Steele, 1800-1884 1
- Hammet, James Preston, d. 1879 1
- Kinzer, Edward Hower, 1831-1866 1
- Lee, Hyo Keun 1
- Linkous, Burgess Riley, 1827-1902 1
- Patsy (enslaved person) 1
- Peter (enslaved person) 1
- Piedmont Tuberculosis Sanatorium (Burkeville, Va.) 1
- Randolph, Lucy 1
- Roberts, George E. , 1834-1887 1
- Scott, Charles W. 1
- Sherman, Jacob, b. 1781 1
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944) 1 ∧ less