Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
This collection consists of official records and periodicals from the AAUW, Virginia Tech Chapter and the National AAUW including minutes, administrative records, state and national convention programs, awards and scholarships, publications, and other materials concerning community outreach from 1926-2008.
In general, vertical files at Special Collections and University Archives include newspaper clippings, photocopies, ephemera, unpublished and/or informal publications, and other papers relating to a specific subject area. Files in this collection relate to individuals and families connected to the local area (Blacksburg, Montgomery County, and Southwest Virginia) and/or to Virginia Tech. Each individual/family below has at least one folder and many include cross references.
The collection consists of Edgemont Farm record books, papers, and correspondence relating to the history, operations, and sale of Edgemont Farm in Halifax County, Virginia, and to the Barksdale and Hutcheson families, former owners of the farm. The collection includes correspondence between John R. Hutcheson and T. B. Hutcheson, Jr., as well as other correspondence of Thomas B. Hutcheson, Jr.; maps, correspondence, and Deed of Trust with David Barksdale regarding the sale of the farm.
The photograph collection at Special Collections and University Archives consists primarily of historical photographs of Virginia Tech, dating back to the 1890s. The collection is also home to historic images of Blacksburg, Montgomery County, the New River Valley, and Southwest Virginia in general. A photograph collection of faculty and staff from the university is maintained separately.
This collection contains the papers of Virginia Tech alumnus and agricultural information editor.It contains correspondence and notes relating to the histories Blacksburg, the Preston family, and Smithfield Plantation (including maps of the grounds and the cemetery). It also contains a few campus photographs and printed materials related to Virginia Tech.
The John Murray Papers document the participation of John Murray, a Virginia Tech chemistry professor from 1942 to 1971, in Virginia's ornithological community. Collected materials include manuscript articles, scholarly correspondence, and bird watching logs which focus largely on Montgomery County, Virginia.
The Named/Individual Photograph Collections include images from alumni and former faculty and staff, or individuals with ties to campus and the New River Valley. Collections (c.1890-present) depict campus life and events, railroad history, agricultural extension research, Blacksburg and surrounding areas, and some local families.
The collection consists of scrapbooks, journals, V.P.I. reunion materials, photograph albums, family diplomas, and the diary of Nannie V. Sibold. As a whole, the collection dates from 1912 to 1990. However, Carrie T. Sibold's scrapbook journals, which run from 1974 to 1990, constitute the the bulk of the collection material.
Historic home of Blacksburg, Virginia, built by the Preston family in the early 1800s. Purchased by the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Virginia Tech) in 1872, and remains the oldest building on campus. Photographs consist of thirty-four mounted photographs from Eleanor Stover McEver's collection of various views and details of Solitude, with identifying labels. Also includes other papers, such as newspaper clippings and postcards, with information about Solitude.
- University History 10
- Montgomery County (Va.) 9
- Blacksburg (Va.) 8
- Women -- History 6
- University Archives 5
- Faculty 4
- Photographs 4
- Agricultural extension work 2
- Architectural drawings (visual works) 1
- Civil War 1
- Railroad 1
- Science and Technology 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1 ∧ less
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (1872-1896) 4
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1896-1944) 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Corps of Cadets 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1944-1970) 2
- American Association of University Women. Blacksburg Branch (Va.) 1
- Carneal and Johnston (Richmond, Va.) 1
- Edgemont Farm 1
- Hutcheson, John Redd, 1886-1962 1
- Hutcheson, T. B. (Thomas Barksdale), d.1950 1
- Lancaster, Lucy Lee, 1905-1989 1
- Michael, Rudolph Dixon, 1904-1994 1
- Murray, John, 1909-2002 1
- Preston family (Montgomery County, Va.) 1
- Sibold, Carrie T. (Carrie Taylor), 1904-1990 1
- Sibold, Chloe M., 1899-1976 1
- Sibold, Nannie V. (Nannie Virginia), 1897-1957 1
- Sibold, Thomas W. (Thomas William), 1909-1930 1
- Will, Erwin Hoge, b.1900 1 ∧ less