Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 25
The collection contains personal research notes, subject files, and writings; materials relating to the Virginia Tech University Libraries; course notes; dissertation research; work on textiles and arts & crafts history; genealogy notes; brochures on historic sites around Virginia; and maps collected by Dorothy McCombs. Materials date from about 1970-1989.
This collection contains the papers of Virginia Tech alumnus and agricultural information editor.It contains correspondence and notes relating to the histories Blacksburg, the Preston family, and Smithfield Plantation (including maps of the grounds and the cemetery). It also contains a few campus photographs and printed materials related to Virginia Tech.
The John Murray Papers document the participation of John Murray, a Virginia Tech chemistry professor from 1942 to 1971, in Virginia's ornithological community. Collected materials include manuscript articles, scholarly correspondence, and bird watching logs which focus largely on Montgomery County, Virginia.
The Named/Individual Photograph Collections include images from alumni and former faculty and staff, or individuals with ties to campus and the New River Valley. Collections (c.1890-present) depict campus life and events, railroad history, agricultural extension research, Blacksburg and surrounding areas, and some local families.
This collection contains correspondence, research files, project files, and manuscripts of George Green Shackelford, professor of history at Virginia Tech from 1954-1986.
The collection consists of scrapbooks, journals, V.P.I. reunion materials, photograph albums, family diplomas, and the diary of Nannie V. Sibold. As a whole, the collection dates from 1912 to 1990. However, Carrie T. Sibold's scrapbook journals, which run from 1974 to 1990, constitute the the bulk of the collection material.
Collection consists of two items that show numbered sections of the Smithfield property adjacent to Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
Historic home of Blacksburg, Virginia, built by the Preston family in the early 1800s. Purchased by the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Virginia Tech) in 1872, and remains the oldest building on campus. Photographs consist of thirty-four mounted photographs from Eleanor Stover McEver's collection of various views and details of Solitude, with identifying labels. Also includes other papers, such as newspaper clippings and postcards, with information about Solitude.
Map shows streets of Blacksburg, Virginia, with local businesses advertised around the border. Document also contains index for main buildings of VPI.
- University History 18
- Montgomery County (Va.) 17
- Blacksburg (Va.) 16
- Faculty 9
- Women -- History 7
- University Archives 6
- Photographs 5
- Maps (documents) 3
- Science and Technology 3
- Virginia -- Maps 3
- Agricultural extension work 2
- Railroad 2
- Architects 1
- Architects -- Virginia 1
- Architectural drawings (visual works) 1
- Civil War 1
- Geology 1
- Oral histories (literary works) 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1 ∧ less
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944) 13
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (1872-1896) 4
- Preston family (Montgomery County, Va.) 2
- Smithfield Plantation House (Blacksburg, Va.) 2
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1896-1944) 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Corps of Cadets 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1944-1970) 2
- Adriance, Thomas 1
- American Association of University Women. Blacksburg Branch (Va.) 1
- Carneal and Johnston (Richmond, Va.) 1
- Cooper, Byron Nelson, 1912-1971 1
- Currie, Leonard J. (Leonard James), 1913-1996 1
- Edgemont Farm 1
- Foster, A. G. 1
- Hutcheson, John Redd, 1886-1962 1
- Hutcheson, T. B. (Thomas Barksdale), d.1950 1
- Lancaster, Lucy Lee, 1905-1989 1
- McCombs, Dorothy F., 1923-1990 1
- Michael, Rudolph Dixon, 1904-1994 1
- Murray, John, 1909-2002 1
- Shackelford, George Green, 1921-2010 1
- Sibold, Carrie T. (Carrie Taylor), 1904-1990 1
- Sibold, Chloe M., 1899-1976 1
- Sibold, Nannie V. (Nannie Virginia), 1897-1957 1
- Sibold, Thomas W. (Thomas William), 1909-1930 1
- Trent, Clarence E. (Clarence Elmore), 1904-1991 1
- Vandenberg, H. P. C. 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. College of Architecture (1974-1978) 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. College of Architecture and Urban Studies (1978-2022) 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. College of Architecture 1
- Will, Erwin Hoge, b.1900 1
- Worley, Charles S., Jr. 1 ∧ less