Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 38
In general, vertical files at Special Collections and University Archives include newspaper clippings, photocopies, ephemera, unpublished and/or informal publications, and other papers relating to a specific subject area. Files in this collection relate to individuals and families connected to the local area (Blacksburg, Montgomery County, and Southwest Virginia) and/or to Virginia Tech. Each individual/family below has at least one folder and many include cross references.
This collection contains the papers of Ralph Minthorne Brown, Virginia Tech head librarian (1926-1947), amateur historian and naturalist. It includes materials on Virginia Tech and local history, including typed transcripts of sources gathered for an intended history of Virginia Tech. Also included are Brown's Blacksburg ornithological and weather observations, a bibliography of Matthew Fontaine Maury, and other writings.
The collection contains items, which belonged to or were collected by Harold C. Cox during his time as a student at Virginia Agriculture and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute from 1922-1926, and his continued experiences with the university as alumnus, primarily from the 1970s and 1980s.
Map shows plans for VPI campus developments.
Document shows the heating plans for dormitory 4 at VPI in Blacksburg, Virginia. It contains some hand-written annotations.
Director of Agricultural Experiment Station at Virginia Polytechnic Institute, 1917-1945; assistant director of Agricultural Experiment Station, 1945 until his retirement in 1948. Collection consists of a Daily Desk Diary, which mentions persons and events in Blacksburg and at Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
Artist and former professor of architecture at Virginia Tech. Collection consists of twenty-two sketches and drawings done by Frazer of nudes and scenes of Blacksburg, Virginia, and the southwest Virginia region. Images available online.
The William E. Garnett Papers consist of field notes, surveys, reports, class notes, letters to the editors of Montgomery County, Virginia, newspapers, and reprints of publications.
- Blacksburg (Va.) 33
- University History 22
- Faculty 13
- Maps (documents) 8
- Virginia -- Maps 8
- University Archives 7
- Women -- History 4
- Photographs 3
- Civil War 2
- Science and Technology 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Agricultural extension work 1
- Architectural drawings (visual works) 1
- Diaries 1
- Football 1
- Roanoke (Va.) 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1 ∧ less
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970) 19
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-) 10
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (1872-1896) 6
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1896-1944) 3
- Cowgill, Clinton Harriman, 1890-1975 2
- Allen, Beulah O. (Beulah Oyama), 1905-1992 1
- Boyd, S. M., Jr. 1
- Brown, Ralph Minthorne, 1878-1958 1
- Carneal and Johnston (Richmond, Va.) 1
- Cox, Harold C. 1
- Drinkard, Alfred Washington, Jr. 1
- Frazer, George Preston 1
- Garnett, William E. (William Edward), 1885-1970 1
- Hill, Henry H. (Henry Harris Bunker) 1
- Lancaster, Lucy Lee, 1905-1989 1
- Manning, Warren H. (Warren Henry), 1860-1938 1
- McBryde, James Bolton, 1866-1925 1
- Michael, Rudolph Dixon, 1904-1994 1
- Murray, John, 1909-2002 1
- Phi Kappa Phi 1
- Preston family (Montgomery County, Va.) 1
- Price family 1
- Price, Emmett Russell, 1874-1944 1
- Price, Harvey Lee, 1874-1951 1
- Randolph, Lingan S., Sr., b. abt. 1878 1
- Sanders, Harry W. (Harry Warinner), 1895-1984 1
- Sibold, Carrie T. (Carrie Taylor), 1904-1990 1
- Sibold, Chloe M., 1899-1976 1
- Sibold, Nannie V. (Nannie Virginia), 1897-1957 1
- Sibold, Thomas W. (Thomas William), 1909-1930 1
- Slusser family 1
- Smyth, Ellison A. (Ellison Adger), 1863-1941 1
- Society of the Sigma Xi 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Corps of Cadets 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. University Libraries 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1944-1970) 1
- Walker, J. H. 1
- Ware, Joseph F., 1880-1969 1
- Ware, Susana Howe Robinson, b. abt. 1897 1 ∧ less