Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
The Culinary Ephemera Collection was established in 2013. The collection consists of materials in a variety of formats (postcards, menus, children's activities, advertising pamphlets, and more) that relate to food, nutrition, and medicine, dating from the early 19th century to the present.
The collection includes small publications and pamphlets created and distributed by culinary, appliance, and food-related companies from about the 1870s to the 1990s. Most pamphlets contain advertisements, recipes, product information, testimonials, or some combination of all four.
The Educational Cookery Collection includes flyers, pamphlets, cooking school catalogs, recipes, menus, cookery lessons, and other ephemera relating to cookery and education, dating from the 1880s to the 1960s.
The Evaporated Milk Association Pamphlet Collection consists of a binder of pamphlets explaining evaoprated milk and the benefits of its use and consumption. The binder was sent as a group to libraries and includes two introductory letters, 26 pamphlets, and 4 scientific reports, the majority of which date from about the 1920s.
The Food Advertisement Collection consists of single page advertisements for a variety of food products, largely pulled from magazines. Items dates from 1894 to 1962, with the majority from the 1910s-1940s.
The Ann A. Hertzler Collection contains biographical information, publications, project and subject files, and artifacts relating to Hertzler's professional career at the University of Missouri-Columbia (1974-1980) and Virginia Tech (1980-2001). Particular areas of emphasis are children's health and nutrition, food and food programs, and Extension publications from both colleges.
The collection contains United States Department of Agriculture, War Food Administration, and other national agency publications from the early 20th century to the present day.
This collection contains pamphlets separated from the Lynne Olver Cookbook Collection, as well as some email correspondence related to scholarship by Olver and a personal objects. The pamphlets make up the majority of the collection, represent several hundred different companies, and date from about the 1890s-the early 2000s.
The Alice Ross Ephemera Collection includes more than 2,000 pieces of ephemera related to food & culinary history, advertising/marketing, food production, agriculture, holidays and celebrations, and domestic culture, dating from the mid-19th to the mid/late 20th century.
This collection contains the final and draft versions of a 1988 report from the Virginia Congress on Hunger detailing the extent of hunger and poverty in the Commonwealth of Virginia, a news release about the report, and the 1985 report about hunger and poverty.
- Subject: Nutrition X
- Ann Hertzler Children's Cookbooks and Nutrition Literature Collection 7
- Food Technology and Production 7
- Nutrition 6
- Culinary pamphlets 4
- Pamphlets 4
- Agriculture 3
- Children -- Nutrition 3
- Ephemera (general object genre) 3
- Advertisements 2
- Advertising cards 2
- Agricultural extension work 2
- Folk, historical, and patent medicine 2
- Menus 2
- Patent medicines 2
- Postcards 2
- Cocktail History Collection 1
- Cocktails -- History 1
- Ephemera 1
- Faculty 1
- Games 1
- Health 1
- Home demonstration work 1
- Home economics 1
- Medicine 1
- Puzzles and games 1
- Science and Technology 1
- Trade cards 1
- Traditional medicine 1
- University History 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 ∧ less
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970) 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-) 2
- Evaporated Milk Association 1
- Hertzler, Ann A., 1935-2014 1
- Olver, Lynne, d.2015 1
- Ross, Alice, 1930- 1
- United States. Agricultural Research Service 1
- United States. Department of Agriculture 1
- United States. Department of Health and Human Services 1
- United States. Division of Home Economics 1
- United States. War Food Administration 1
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944) 1
- Virginia Cooperative Extension (1995-) 1
- Virginia Cooperative Extension Service 1 ∧ less