Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
The collection contains correspondence, photographs, and miscellaneous materials relating to the personal life and university and military service of Claudius Lee, a professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
This collection includes the written minutes and various papers of the Lee Literary Society from 1873 to 1926, and the minutes of the united Lee and Maury Literary Society during the 1928-29 session. The Lee Literary Society was formed from the split of the Virginia Literary Society in 1873 along with its counterpart the Maury Literary Society. LLS helped create the first student publication, the Gray Jacket, in 1875. The LLS folded in 1928.
This collection includes the written minutes and papers of the Maury Literary Society from 1873 to 1928 and documents related to the personal awards of the society's namesake, Matthew F. Maury. The Maury Literary Society was formed from the split of the Virginia Literary Society in 1873 along with its counterpart the Lee Literary Society. MLS helped create the first student publication, the Gray Jacket, in 1875. The MLS folded in 1928.
John McClaren McBryde served as the fifth president of Virginia Tech (1891-1907). This collection documents his tenure as president, including correspondence, letter books, reports, bids and contracts, and other records.
The John Murray Papers document the participation of John Murray, a Virginia Tech chemistry professor from 1942 to 1971, in Virginia's ornithological community. Collected materials include manuscript articles, scholarly correspondence, and bird watching logs which focus largely on Montgomery County, Virginia.
In general, vertical files at Special Collections include newspaper clippings, photocopies, ephemera, unpublished and/or informal publications, and other papers relating to a specific subject area. Files in this collection relate to Virginia Tech and its history. Topics may include, but are not limited to, colleges and departments, student organizations, administrative offices, centers and other campus units, and athletics.
The Harry Downing Temple, Jr., Papers contains materials related to Temple's personal life, interest in heraldry and insignia, and his research and publications on the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. Materials date from about 1872 to 2004.
- University History 8
- Faculty 4
- Heraldry 1
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 1
- Montgomery County (Va.) 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970) 5
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-) 4
- Lee Literary Society (1873-1928) 1
- Lee, Claudius, 1872-1962 1
- Maury Literary Society (1873-1928) 1
- McBryde, John McLaren, 1841-1923 1
- Murray, John, 1909-2002 1
- Perkins, Carter, Jr., 1862-1935 1
- Temple, Harry Downing 1
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1896-1944) 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Corps of Cadets 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1944-1970) 1 ∧ less