Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1944-1970)
- Usage: 1944 - 1970
Two cadet companies were organized in 1872-73, but the Corps of Cadets was not officially established until 1891-92. The first Commandant of Cadets was General J.H. Lane, appointed in 1872. Commandants have been appointed by the Board of Visitors since that time, except for 1880-81 when the Board failed to appoint either a Commandant or a president, so the acting president appointed a senior cadet as acting Commandant. In 1966, this post was put under the Dean of Students (now Vice- President of Student Affairs). From 1908 to 1964, a president of the Corps was elected each year. This individual's primary responsibility was to serve as chairman of the Cadet Senate. The first constitution of the Corps was adopted in 1908. Both civilian and cadet units served under this single constitution until 1916 when a Unified Student Body was formed (now the Student Government Association).
For a chronological list of Corps units, under their original names, as well as lists of Commanders, Commandants, and Presidents of the Corps, see Historical Data Book 1872-1972.
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
Harry Downing Temple Jr., Papers
The Harry Downing Temple, Jr., Papers contains materials related to Temple's personal life, interest in heraldry and insignia, and his research and publications on the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. Materials date from about 1872 to 2004.