Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (1896-1944)
- Usage: 1896 - 1944
Found in 64 Collections and/or Records:
This collection contains college memorabilia, including photographs, printed material, and banners collected by John H., Jacob C., and Harry B. Aaron, three Bristol, Virginia brothers who attended Virginia Tech during the early 20th century.
This collection consists of official records and periodicals from the AAUW, Virginia Tech Chapter and the National AAUW including minutes, administrative records, state and national convention programs, awards and scholarships, publications, and other materials concerning community outreach from 1926-2008.
In general, vertical files at Special Collections and University Archives include newspaper clippings, photocopies, ephemera, unpublished and/or informal publications, and other papers relating to a specific subject area. Files in this collection relate to individuals and families connected to the local area (Blacksburg, Montgomery County, and Southwest Virginia) and/or to Virginia Tech. Each individual/family below has at least one folder and many include cross references.
This collection contains the papers of Ralph Minthorne Brown, Virginia Tech head librarian (1926-1947), amateur historian and naturalist. It includes materials on Virginia Tech and local history, including typed transcripts of sources gathered for an intended history of Virginia Tech. Also included are Brown's Blacksburg ornithological and weather observations, a bibliography of Matthew Fontaine Maury, and other writings.
Papers associated with William Addison "Add" Caldwell (1856-1910) of Craig County, Virginia, first student enrolled at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (VAMC, later Virginia Tech). Includes a letter written by Caldwell in 1910; his 1875 VAMC report card; a Caldwell family photo portrait; Caldwell's obituary; and a Bible given to Caldwell by Mrs. William C. McKemey.
The collection contains detail drawings, sketches, and tracings of several campus buildings. Items include 1934 drawings of 1934 Faculty Dormitory and Campus Soical Center, 1939 drawings of Agricultural Hall, 1952 and 1959 drawings of the Academic Science building, 1959 and 1961 drawings of the Engineering building, and 1961 and 1968 sketches of dorm buildings. The collection also contains original detail drawings and tracings of the Biology, Geology, and Education building.
This collection includes business and personal papers of W. Graham Claytor, a 1906 graduate of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (later Virginia Polytechnic Institute) and an executive overseeing the operations of a number of American Gas and Electric Company subsidiaries during the 20th century. It includes correspondence, reports, and printed materials relating to personal financial matters, business operations, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, and ham radio.
The collection consists of pages from an account book, bills, notes, and correspondence relating to John T. Cowan's personal and business affairs.
The collection contains items, which belonged to or were collected by Harold C. Cox during his time as a student at Virginia Agriculture and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute from 1922-1926, and his continued experiences with the university as alumnus, primarily from the 1970s and 1980s.