Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 29
This collection consists of official records and periodicals from the AAUW, Virginia Tech Chapter and the National AAUW including minutes, administrative records, state and national convention programs, awards and scholarships, publications, and other materials concerning community outreach from 1926-2008.
In general, vertical files at Special Collections and University Archives include newspaper clippings, photocopies, ephemera, unpublished and/or informal publications, and other papers relating to a specific subject area. Files in this collection relate to individuals and families connected to the local area (Blacksburg, Montgomery County, and Southwest Virginia) and/or to Virginia Tech. Each individual/family below has at least one folder and many include cross references.
This collection contains the papers of Ralph Minthorne Brown, Virginia Tech head librarian (1926-1947), amateur historian and naturalist. It includes materials on Virginia Tech and local history, including typed transcripts of sources gathered for an intended history of Virginia Tech. Also included are Brown's Blacksburg ornithological and weather observations, a bibliography of Matthew Fontaine Maury, and other writings.
The collection contains detail drawings, sketches, and tracings of several campus buildings. Items include 1934 drawings of 1934 Faculty Dormitory and Campus Soical Center, 1939 drawings of Agricultural Hall, 1952 and 1959 drawings of the Academic Science building, 1959 and 1961 drawings of the Engineering building, and 1961 and 1968 sketches of dorm buildings. The collection also contains original detail drawings and tracings of the Biology, Geology, and Education building.
This collection includes business and personal papers of W. Graham Claytor, a 1906 graduate of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (later Virginia Polytechnic Institute) and an executive overseeing the operations of a number of American Gas and Electric Company subsidiaries during the 20th century. It includes correspondence, reports, and printed materials relating to personal financial matters, business operations, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, and ham radio.
Director of Agricultural Experiment Station at Virginia Polytechnic Institute, 1917-1945; assistant director of Agricultural Experiment Station, 1945 until his retirement in 1948. Collection consists of a Daily Desk Diary, which mentions persons and events in Blacksburg and at Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
The collection consists of Edgemont Farm record books, papers, and correspondence relating to the history, operations, and sale of Edgemont Farm in Halifax County, Virginia, and to the Barksdale and Hutcheson families, former owners of the farm. The collection includes correspondence between John R. Hutcheson and T. B. Hutcheson, Jr., as well as other correspondence of Thomas B. Hutcheson, Jr.; maps, correspondence, and Deed of Trust with David Barksdale regarding the sale of the farm.
Artist and former professor of architecture at Virginia Tech. Collection consists of twenty-two sketches and drawings done by Frazer of nudes and scenes of Blacksburg, Virginia, and the southwest Virginia region. Images available online.
The William E. Garnett Papers consist of field notes, surveys, reports, class notes, letters to the editors of Montgomery County, Virginia, newspapers, and reprints of publications.
- University History 25
- Montgomery County (Va.) 19
- Blacksburg (Va.) 18
- Faculty 13
- University Archives 8
- Science and Technology 6
- Women -- History 6
- Photographs 4
- Agricultural extension work 2
- Civil War 2
- Railroad 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Agriculture 1
- Architectural drawings (visual works) 1
- Diaries 1
- Maps (documents) 1
- Students and alumni 1
- Virginia -- Maps 1 ∧ less
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-) 13
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (1872-1896) 5
- Drinkard, Alfred Washington, Jr. 2
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1896-1944) 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Corps of Cadets 2
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1944-1970) 2
- Allen, Beulah O. (Beulah Oyama), 1905-1992 1
- American Association of University Women. Blacksburg Branch (Va.) 1
- Appalachian Electric Power Company (1926-1958) 1
- Appalachian Power Company 1
- Brown, Ralph Minthorne, 1878-1958 1
- Carneal and Johnston (Richmond, Va.) 1
- Claytor, W. Graham (William Graham), 1886-1971 1
- Edgemont Farm 1
- Frazer, George Preston 1
- Garnett, William E. (William Edward), 1885-1970 1
- Henley, Bernard J. 1
- Hill, Henry H. (Henry Harris Bunker) 1
- Holden, Roy Jay, 1870-1945 1
- Hutcheson, John Redd, 1886-1962 1
- Hutcheson, T. B. (Thomas Barksdale), d.1950 1
- Johnson, William Martin 1
- Lancaster, Lucy Lee, 1905-1989 1
- Michael, Rudolph Dixon, 1904-1994 1
- Murray, John, 1909-2002 1
- Preston family (Montgomery County, Va.) 1
- Price family 1
- Price, Harvey Lee, 1874-1951 1
- Sanders, Harry W. (Harry Warinner), 1895-1984 1
- Sibold, Carrie T. (Carrie Taylor), 1904-1990 1
- Sibold, Chloe M., 1899-1976 1
- Sibold, Nannie V. (Nannie Virginia), 1897-1957 1
- Sibold, Thomas W. (Thomas William), 1909-1930 1
- Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station 1
- Virginia Engineering Experiment Station 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Research Division 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. University Libraries 1
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Board of Visitors 1
- Virginia Truck Experiment Station (1907-1967) 1
- Will, Erwin Hoge, b.1900 1 ∧ less