Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
The photograph collection at Special Collections and University Archives consists primarily of historical photographs of Virginia Tech, dating back to the 1890s. The collection is also home to historic images of Blacksburg, Montgomery County, the New River Valley, and Southwest Virginia in general. A photograph collection of faculty and staff from the university is maintained separately.
The collection contains a student handbook, newspaper articles, and a photo album of scenes on the Virginia Polytechnic Institute (VPI) campus from 1918-1919, many of which are clearly identified. The collection was compiled by Robert G. Moore, a VPI graduate of 1922.
The Named/Individual Photograph Collections include images from alumni and former faculty and staff, or individuals with ties to campus and the New River Valley. Collections (c.1890-present) depict campus life and events, railroad history, agricultural extension research, Blacksburg and surrounding areas, and some local families.
Historic home of Blacksburg, Virginia, built by the Preston family in the early 1800s. Purchased by the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Virginia Tech) in 1872, and remains the oldest building on campus. Photographs consist of thirty-four mounted photographs from Eleanor Stover McEver's collection of various views and details of Solitude, with identifying labels. Also includes other papers, such as newspaper clippings and postcards, with information about Solitude.
The Harry Downing Temple, Jr., Papers contains materials related to Temple's personal life, interest in heraldry and insignia, and his research and publications on the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. Materials date from about 1872 to 2004.
- Local/Regional History and Appalachian South 4
- Blacksburg (Va.) 3
- Montgomery County (Va.) 3
- Women -- History 3
- Agricultural extension work 2
- University Archives 2
- Civil War 1
- Faculty 1
- Heraldry 1
- Railroad 1
- Students and alumni 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1 ∧ less
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1944-1970) 5
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (1970-) 5
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (1872-1896) 3
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute. Corps of Cadets (1896-1944) 3
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Corps of Cadets 3