Records of the Bureau of Community Development
Scope and Content
This collection contains typed manuscripts of twenty-nine Industrial Surveys of various counties and cities in Virginia from 1928-1931. The manuscripts only vary slightly from the published volumes (cataloged, LD5655.A6552 1928-LD5655.A6552 1931), containing margin notes, editing, and certain information not contained in the published items. Arrangement is sometimes different as well. Nineteen of the surveys, made by the VPI Engineering Extension Division and sponsored by Southwestern Virginia, Inc. (a regional chamber of commerce serving the entire Southwest Virginia area), cover the following counties in Southwest Virginia: Bland, Buchanan, Carroll, Craig, Dickerson, Floyd, Giles, Grayson, Lee, Montgomery (and the city of Radford), Pulaski, Roanoke, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, and Wythe. Ten of the surveys cover the following counties and cities in other parts of the state: Arlington County, Bedford, Edinburg and Madison District, Farmville, Halifax County, Orange County, Portsmouth, Tazewell-North Tazewell, and Wytheville. These surveys were directed by Reuben Lee Humbert, who was manager of the Bureau of Community Development from 1929-1936.
Also contained here is a typed manuscript entitled "A Brief History of Nansemond County, VA." There is no author indicated on the manuscript.
- 1928 - 1931
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Engineering Extension Division. Bureau of Community Development (Organization)
Language of Materials
The materials in the collection are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
The copyright status of this collection is unknown. Copyright restrictions may apply. Contact Special Collections and University Archives for assistance in determining the use of these materials.
Reproduction or digitization of materials for personal or research use can be requested using our reproduction/digitization form: http://bit.ly/scuareproduction. Reproduction or digitization of materials for publication or exhibit use can be requested using our publication/exhibition form: http://bit.ly/scuapublication. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-6308) if you need assistance with forms or to submit a completed form.
The Bureau of Community Development was one of three bureaus of the Engineering Extension Division that were started in 1929. (The other two were the Industrial Service Bureau and the Bureau of Extension Instruction.) Its purpose was to assist cities and Chambers of Commerce in making industrial surveys and other studies for industrial development, as well as advising on municipal engineering projects and providing library services for municipal affairs. In 1937, all three bureaus ceased to exist as separate operations, but their activities were continued by the Engineering Extension Division as a whole.
1.4 Cubic Feet (1 box)
This collection contains typed manuscripts of twenty-nine Industrial Surveys of various counties and cities in Virginia from 1928-1931.
Source of Acquisition
The collection was transferred to Special Collections and University Archives in August 1955.
Rights Statement for Archival Description
The guide to the Records of the Bureau of Community Development by Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech, is licensed under a CC0 (https://creativecommons.org/share-your- work/public-domain/cc0/).
The collection is unprocessed. The description of the collection was completed prior to 2002.
- Records of the Bureau of Community Development
- Special Collections and University Archives Staff and LM Rozema, Archivist
- 2021 (CC0 1.0)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections and University Archives, Virginia Tech Repository
Special Collections and University Archives, University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Newman Library, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg Virginia 24061 US